Friday, October 26, 2012

Basilica di San Apollinaire Nuovo

Highlights of Ravenna included the Basilica di San Apollinaire Nuovo.  With the longest mosaic strips I have yet seen, the handmaidens on one side and the men on the other waiting upon Theodora and Constantine.  
My favorite section of mosaic is that which shows Balthasar, Casper and Melchoir stepping out in their leopard skin tights.  This sequence always makes me smile. Adjacent is the Mausoleo di Galla Placidia.  A favorite as it is here that the Ravenna Doves reside.  My favorite section though is the ceiling panel that depicts the night sky.  Such a contemporary graphic given it was designed centuries ago.  We saw too the Battisttero Neoniano, before heading out of Ravenna to view San Apollinaire Classe.  Another classic mosaic which I love because of the colour and the flock of sheep.  Needless to say lots of photos were taken to document the mosaic.
25.10.2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment